now in its one-hundred-and-eightieth year
Between 1899 and 1965, this building served as the federal courthouse and main post office in Chicago. Built as the population of the city was burgeoning in the decades following the Great Fire, the building exemplified the city’s growing material and architectural sophistication. Designed by Henry Ives Cobb in the Beaux-Arts style, the building was elaborately ornamented and capped off with an impressive dome. The complex occupied the block bounded by Clark, Jackson, Dearborn, and Adams.
An unknown federal employee took this photograph of the soon-to-be demolished building and its environs in 1961. The construction shed and pilings at the bottom of the frame show that work on the buildings that would supplant the old federal court had begun. The Cobb-designed courthouse would be knocked down a few years later to make way for the minimalist replacements designed by Mies van der Rohe that we have now.
Ringing the courthouse from left to right are the Monadnock Building, the Union League Club, the Board of Trade, the Continental Illinois Bank building (obscured), and the 111 West Adams Building (now the Club Quarters Hotel), which are all still standing.
Image: from this source via Wikimedia Commons.